Fanuc PPR - Paper Tape Punch, Printer and Reader : Not quite working

Martin Bishop mjd.bishop at emeritus-solutions.com
Sun Apr 10 12:43:43 CDT 2022

Eric

Thanks for confirmation the reader should “just work”.   Unfortunately it does not ...

One other specific : can the PPR punch absolute binary tapes, e.g. for a PDP-11, one potential use.  Or, is it limited to “alpha numeric” ASCII.  Using the native controller, I can’t see any way of geting it to punch e.g. DC1 .. DC4, they control the logic and are absorbed prior to the punch.  Is there an escape sequence ?

The reader does not want to cal:
- the procedure is in the PPR Operators manual [B-54584E/01 p 47-48]
- the tape is a loop of U* with even parity, taken from ano Fanuc manual [see my 10 1314A Apr 21]
- the tape feeds, but none of the indications illuminate : 50/60 Hz, sprocket signal, channel signal
- beyond my doing it incorrectly (tried a few times), I would wonder if either lamp or optos are kaput

Consequently, signal tracing to / from the reader looks the way to go, and the place to start is probably the sprocket opto.  A job for another "weekend", preferably with the circuits to hand - although I have seen no sign of any.

Martin