Bob Lucky

Peter Schow pschow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 22:45:54 CDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 9:41 AM Jim Brain via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I don't remember seeing this here, and not sure how many of you read his
> articles, but:
>
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/bob-lucky-obituary

Thanks for letting us know.  I got to meet Robert Lucky when he was at
Bellcore in the mid-1990s and visited us at U S WEST Advanced
Technologies in Boulder, CO.  He said Bellcore spent years designing a
public internet-like system at scale but their #1 concern was where
content was going to come from.  They secured preliminary deals with
some content-providers, which at the time were the newspapers and wire
services, but the whole system was scrapped when the internet took
off, as we know it today.  By far their biggest surprise was the
volume of content that originated from end users (e.g. web sites);
they didn't see that coming at all.