8" disk drive questions...

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Oct 31 14:14:50 CDT 2021

Put a piece of opaque tape over one of the holes.
Make sure that it is solidly attached.
I used to use write protect tabs.
But aged write protect tabs rarely still stick well.
And, it is a hassle to dig out ones that have fallen off inside the drive.
I ran most of my 8" drives without cases, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Covering the index hole of the diskette was one crude work-around ("the
band-aid") for reading certain WD formatted 5.25" disks using an NEC
controller, where the NEC went "flash-blind" after the index, and then
wasn't quite ready to read before the first sector of the WD disk (with
short index gap) came around.  A better solution, for a non-temporary
setup (for 5.25" index) was to make a special cable that interrupted that
wire with a switch.

There are presumably jumpers on that drive, perhaps wire to those jumpers
with an external switch?

Having both sets of holes on the disk lets the disk be formatted and used
as either single sided or double sided.
Having both sets of sensors in the drive lets it be a single sided or
double sided drive.

Neither were especially common, so the combination didn't happen often for
most people.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com