Dec DMX11--What was it?

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Oct 25 14:22:48 CDT 2021

Thanks! I found the PCL11 in the 1980 Terminals and Communications
handbook, but the biggest thing they had was the COMM/IO/DUP
micro-controller that ran up to 6 DZ11's for 48 terminals. And that was
in the Customer Specific Solutions section.

No mention of what the DMX11 was, but it must have been a beast: One
thing I do see in this report is that DEC went nuts because the customer
was holding them to an interesting set of requirements that changed
mid-project.

 From what I can see, it was some sort of a "block mode" device that
could support 64 terminals at a shot. Then the client/DEC also wanted it
to drive VT52's in character mode as well because the "Terminal
Concentrator Device" (no idea what that was) was not going to be
supported by RSX11/D going forward. It was still supported in RSX11/M
now I'm wondering what THAT device was as well.

Anyway trying to stuff character mode and block mode in the same
controller doubled the microcode requirements. Worse, they couldn't lay
out the components on a nine board layout and the customer refused to
allow more boards to make it fit. So it had "problems".

So what was a TCD? Was that a pdt11/150 by chance?