Fred

Fred fred at MISER.MISERNET.NET
Tue Oct 12 14:54:44 CDT 2021

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:

> Nobody wants to be confused with me.

:)

> Became "Grumpy Ol' Fred" when in an email list with multiple "Fred"s, in
> order to spare the other "Fred"s from bing confused with me.
>
> Now, howzbout a short, quick introduction?

Since you asked, sure ... why not?

Started with tech professionally around 26 years ago, was always
fascinated by it.  Started out when DOS and Novell were all the rage.
Worked for a local MSP that mostly serviced banks.

Bounced here and there and was exposed to all sorts of stuff.  Printers,
IBM Mainframes running VSE and I think CICS (it was a long time ago),
wireless, networks, and whole host of things in between.

Gained a lot of VMS experience (other than just being a user) by working
for a local financial institution.  Had a rather good relationship with
the data processor and that's how I ended up getting my first Alphaserver
and VAX.

Went back to the MSP life for awhile, owners retired, new company that
bought them, no way else to put it - sucked.   Worked for a local
manufacturing company for the past 5 years, thought I'd retire from there,
but due to a bad combination of their (lack of) response to covid and
continually resisting getting off a 15 year old (5 years out of support)
ERP system, it was time to go.   Time is worth more than money.

Work part time now for a local non-profit as the tech guy.  I have more
time on my hands now for home tech projects.  Some days I work from home,
which is nice.  I've got an iSeries, an Apple //e, and a Commodore 64 that
are all begging to be worked on and resurrected.  ... and other stuff too.

Ooops.  This is probably not as short as you wanted.

Fred