Lecture: Update Computer Club: History and Not-So-Certain Future, 2021-10-09, 18:00

Anke Stüber stueberahoo at yahoo.de
Tue Oct 5 16:15:30 CDT 2021

Hi all,

you're invited to the Update computer club[0] public lecture series
"Updateringar"[1]!

When:   2021-10-09, 18:00 CEST (Note: one hour earlier than usual!)
Stream: https://streaming.media.ccc.de/vcfb2021/
Q&A:    https://bbb.vcfb.de/b/ank-eka-1zw-rkc

Update Computer Club: History and Not-So-Certain Future
At Swedish universities, students organize in clubs for spare time
activities like photography, sports, music and also computers! Update is
the student computer club loosely connected to Uppsala University. We
started out in 1983 around what was then new shiny computers and have
evolved into a caretaker of the old and precious. We have kept the very
DECSYSTEM 2060 around which the club was formed as well as a VAX 8650,
PDP-12, a running PDP-11/70 and many other things. The club is creeping
up on its 40th birthday and we would like to present a retrospective
with anecdotes and trivia. The future is uncertain as the university
department paying for our rooms is moving and will no longer be able to
accomodate Update. What will the next chapter for this old club be? And
how can you help us?
Pontus Pihlgren (Update)

The lecture is free and open to everyone.

Note: This talk is a contribution to the Vintage Computing Festival
Berlin 2021 and therefore happens one hour earlier than our usual time.
The link for participation is also different.

Click here to watch the lecture stream:
https://streaming.media.ccc.de/vcfb2021/
Click here to ask a question or discuss afterwards (no sign-up needed):
https://bbb.vcfb.de/b/ank-eka-1zw-rkc

See also our online exhibition[2] at the event.

Don't want to miss upcoming events? Subscribe to our low-traffic
announcement list by sending a mail with the body "subscribe announce"
to majordomo at update.uu.se!

Hope to see you there,
Anke

[0] https://www.update.uu.se/index_eng.html