PDP-11 Unix V7M-11 V1.0 under SIMH

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Oct 5 13:57:49 CDT 2021

On 10/4/2021 6:26 PM, Tony Nicholson via cctalk wrote:
>> *Neat*! I was thinking of trying to lay this down on a real 11/23+ here
>> at the house, then realized I didn't have two RD51's. Can it gen on an
>> RD53 by chance, I could upload one of those to a disk in a weekend or
>> immediately with the Dave Gesswin emulator (which I need to return but
>> we're just about to pull out those big Perqs)
>
> Chris,
>
> I doubt you'll be able to use anything other than a RD51 drive - as
> this ancient V7M doesn't yet support newer drive types.  You might
> be able to put some of the system files on an RL02 - but I haven't confirmed
> there's a RL02 boot loader on this kit.
>
> Back in 1983 the PDP-11/23-PLUS was a relatively *new* machine.  There's
> later versions of Ultrix-11 (V2 and later) that added support for the 11/73
> and bigger drives - look on the Unix Heritage Society site under Unix
> Archive.  There's a downloadable installation tape for Ultrix-11 there.
>
> https://www.tuhs.org
>
> Tony

Once installed, one ought to be able to gen a system for other devices,
at least for an RL01/RL02, but perhaps not for RD series beyond the RD51
without

The drivers ought to be there for RL01, RL02, RK06, RK07, RP02/3/4/5/6,
RM02/3/5, RA60 and RA80/81 and more, according to the installation
manual - you just have to do a sysgen.

Might be good to do the contemplated work under SimH first, of course.

For later RQDX controllers, though, you presumably would need to change
the driver.

JRJ