PDP-11 Unix V7M-11 V1.0 under SIMH

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Mon Oct 4 18:26:30 CDT 2021

> *Neat*! I was thinking of trying to lay this down on a real 11/23+ here
> at the house, then realized I didn't have two RD51's. Can it gen on an
> RD53 by chance, I could upload one of those to a disk in a weekend or
> immediately with the Dave Gesswin emulator (which I need to return but
> we're just about to pull out those big Perqs)

Chris,

I doubt you'll be able to use anything other than a RD51 drive - as
this ancient V7M doesn't yet support newer drive types.  You might
be able to put some of the system files on an RL02 - but I haven't confirmed
there's a RL02 boot loader on this kit.

Back in 1983 the PDP-11/23-PLUS was a relatively *new* machine.  There's
later versions of Ultrix-11 (V2 and later) that added support for the 11/73
and bigger drives - look on the Unix Heritage Society site under Unix
Archive.  There's a downloadable installation tape for Ultrix-11 there.

https://www.tuhs.org

Tony
--
Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>