Has anyone gotten the old SIMH VAX-11/730 emulator to boot?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 03:54:35 CDT 2021

Hi, All,

I'm fiddling with my 11/725 and as part of that, I'm prepping possible
system images to deploy using the 10-year-old 11/730 emulator that's
now part of SIMH.  I'm trying to get the original (v3.8) version
working because of the numerous changes to how simh 4.0 works now.

I'm working from the sources on http://www.9track.net/simh/vax730/
They compiled just fine and the binary runs (on Linux, FWIW) but I've
tried booting several different TU58 images and VMS device images and
so far, they all tell me "file open error".

Here's the current config with me trying to run the CRD tape/disk
combo (trimmed just show mounted images on TD0 and RB1).

sim> show conf
VAX730 simulator configuration

CPU, idle disabled, 2048KB, HALT to SIMH
.
.
.
TD, 2 units
  TD0, 262KB, attached to BE-T176I-DE.tu58, write enabled
  TD1, 262KB, not attached, write enabled
.
.
.
RB, address=FFFB86-FFFB87, vector=2A8, 4 units
  RB0, 64MW, not attached, write enabled, RB80
  RB1, 5242KW, attached to CRDPACK-RL02.img, write enabled, RB02
  RB2, 5242KW, not attached, write enabled, RB02
  RB3, 5242KW, not attached, write enabled, RB02

If I have to, I can grab the source for the current version off of
github, but having looked it over, it's essentially this same emulator
(with commit dates of 9-10 years ago) plus some recent structural
cleanup that's similar across all emulators.  The functional parts are
this same emulator.

Thanks for any tips.

-ethan