What happened to control-data.info and controlfreaks.org?

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 11:42:03 CST 2021

On 11/81/21,. Andrew Warkentin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccomp.org> wrote:

>> What happened? Looking back at my emails, the list was operating normally
>> until September 3. Then it just stopped. There were normal discussions
>> going on. There was no flood of spam. As far as I can tell, nothing
occured
>> that would trigger a rage quit.
>>
>> Is the software and documentation that was on the site at least archived
>> elsewhere? Has anybody downloaded it and can maybe upload to archive.org?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I downloaded some of the software and documentation from there a long
> time ago and still have it, although I didn't actually scrape the
> entire site. I can upload what I've got to archive.org.
>
> The disk image kit of NOS 2.8.7 with CYBIS has been mirrored at
> <https://codex.sjzoppi.com/doku.php?id=utilities:start> and most of
> the documentation for it is available from the Wayback Machine at
> <
http://web.archive.org/web/20210421202420/http://www.control-data.info/CybisRelease.html

I have a working version of NOS 2.8.1, but I would like to be able to add
software that is not included as part of the system that I downloaded from
controlfreaks.org about 18 months ago. An example might be the ALGOL68
compiler. (I stress 'might be', as I haven't checked if that is on my
system already. I just know there is 'some good stuff' that I want and
which I don't have.)

I have had a look on archive.org, but I can't find anything that looks like
CDC NOS software tapes. A big part of my difficulty is likely to be that I
don't have a list of what was available on controlfreaks.org in order to be
able to do a detailed search. I did search archive.org for controlfreaks.org,
but all I get is

Controlfreaks.orgAuthorized Users Only

This site is for the research into historic systems and software made by
Control Data Corporation. If you think you can contribute, email to
ControlfreaksAdmin
<https://web.archive.org/web/20210421192919/mailto:thunter0512@gmail.com> to
request a username/password for access to this site.

All the content is over in the TWiki
<https://web.archive.org/web/20210421192919/http://www.controlfreaks.org/twiki/bin/view/>
.

When I click on the TWiki link, I get

   {ScriptUrlPath}/view/TWiki/TWikiRegistration

which is not much use.

Does anyone have a list of the CDC software that was available from
controlfreaks.org?

Cheers

Peter Allan