The precarious state of classic software and hardware preservation

John Herron barythrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:42:12 CST 2021

I can speak for state government but not fed (this was 20 years ago). It
was an annoying buzz kill that we had to destroy old equipment, and deface
documentation and software so it would be unusable from dumpster divers.
Some pallets of hardware would get "recycled" by department of corrections
(prisoners) but there wasn't any thought of archiving. Especially once
bills came out to enable requesting of data. That resulted in policies to
purge data older than x years and email after 1.