8" disk drive questions...

Mike Katz bitwiz at 12bitsbest.com
Mon Nov 1 10:38:22 CDT 2021

I'm not as familiar with 8" drives but in the 5.25" drives there were
small punches you could buy that were designed to punch an additional
index hole so single sided floppies could be used as flippies.

I think it was Wangco that made a single sided drive that had dual write
protect and dual index sensors so that you just turn the disk over
rather than punching a hole.

There were also some problems spinning cheaper floppies in the "wrong"
direction when they were flipped.