How to read Osborne 1 Floppies?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue May 25 14:43:48 CDT 2021

On Tue, 25 May 2021, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:
> I think there were some bootable Osborne floppies which still retained a
> single density boot track even when the rest of the media was formatted as
> double density. Regular data disks are probably consistent throughout, but
> it's just something else to consider depending on the nature of the media
> that's being accessed.
>
> Thankfully there seem to be far more PC controllers out there that will at
> least read FM data than there are ones that can also write it.

For copying FILES, that shouldn't be a problem.  For making IMAGES of the
disks that would be.

For copying FILES, you would only be accessing the DIRectory sectors, and
the tracks following them, with no need to even look at boot sector or
system track(s).

But, that's still a useful warning, to NOT try to tell whether the disk is
FM or MFM based on track 0!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com