Writings on AI from 17 years ago....

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Tue May 25 10:45:19 CDT 2021

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 6:35 AM Tom Hunter via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> I have learned not to trust any computer museum to properly look after any
> artefacts in the long run. I have seen the following:
>
>    - they lose funding and shut down;
>    - the building they had for free is sold or demolished and the
>    collection no longer has a home;
>    - museum management changes and they decide to no longer display certain
>    objects;
>    - they replace real objects with fancy multimedia presentations;
>    - they suck in anything and everything and send unwanted items or
>    duplicates to the dumpster rather than trying to find a new home for
> stuff
>    they don't want or need;
>
> Don't trust that museums will abide by your wishes when you donate an item.
> They almost never will no matter how secure you think your agreement with
> them is.
>
> I believe that enthusiastic and competent individuals will look after
> valuable items much better than most museums can.

Based on the number of items I've rescued from rotting garages, basements,
and warehouses owned (or formerly owned) by enthusiastic and competent
individuals with the best of intentions -- both as part of my former job
and my ongoing hobby over the past 20+ years -- I can say with confidence
that this, uh, may not be strictly true.

Pay your rent.  Keep the roof on your garage in good condition, and keep
the rodents out.  Know when to stop collecting.   *** Make a will, and have
a succession plan that's more than "my significant other will know what to
do" ***

- Josh