COMPAQ ISA PC to ethernent

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu May 20 21:27:51 CDT 2021

On 5/20/21 7:01 PM, Randy Dawson via cctalk wrote:
> If anyone has ideas about boards or software to connect this original Compaq to the net let me know!
> Browsing the ebay, I do not find a PC 8 bit ethernet  board but still looking.
> Then, the rest, a net set of tools in source would be great.

A fair number of 16-bit ISA ethernet cards will work in 8 bit mode.
This has been discussed in the past on VCF.   I use an Artisoft AE-2/T
on one 8-bit system (it has a jumper for 8/16 bit operation) and a
generic NE2000 ISA PNP on another.   No problems.

If you're looking for minimal-sized functionality for telnet and ftp,
Mike Brutmann's MTCP works a treat with packet drivers on 8 bit.

--Chuck