Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue May 18 10:35:53 CDT 2021

On May 18, 2021, at 2:17 AM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Zane Healy wrote:
>> On May 17, 2021, at 2:43 PM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>> Zane,
>>>
>>> How about redirecting DECW$BOOKREADER to display on an X server elsewhere?
>>>
>>> $ SET DISPLAY /NODE=domain.name /TRANSPORT=TCPIP /CREATE
>>> $ MCR DECW$BOOKREADER
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Peter Coghlan
>>
>> I’m trying to make the files readable via HECnet, so I need VTBOOK, MGBOOK,
>> or similar.  I see that at least an early Freeware CD had VTB, but the
>> copy I downloaded appears to be corrupt.
>>

> Zane,
>
> The content of your posting which I was replying to and the error message you
> quoted suggested to me that your concern was that the bookreader files you are
> attempting to read are "corrupt".
>
> My suggestion was intended to help you discover whether the bookreader files are
> "corrupt" or the tools you are using to read them are mishandling them.
>
> (In my experience "corrupt" files on VMS are usually due to file attributes
> being lost when the files were transferred via some other system.  On early
> version of VMS, this can usually be fixed using Joe Meadows' "FILE" utility.)
>
> Regards,
> Peter Coghlan.

Sorry Peter, I wasn’t even thinking about that at the time, as Malte had reported he was able to read them with DECW$BOOKREADER.  Though thinking about it again, it’s not a bad idea, as it would let me see exactly what I’m seeing.

Any pointers to “FILE”?  I’m finding it to be “fun” to try to track down various tools.  Though mention of this made me realize, I should be able to fix file attributes on a 7.3 or 8.3 system.  I think the install for VTB needs that.  I’m *STILL* trying to find the original VTBOOK.

Zane