DECNet for Pro 300 series boxes

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon May 17 15:13:57 CDT 2021

> On May 17, 2021, at 2:43 PM, Bob Smith via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> My recollection of Decnet for Pro boxes is that the available SW was
> for an end node and not a routing or other capability for the
> 380/350/325 boxes.

That's how I remember it as well.  I think the DEC notion was that a Pro wasn't powerful enough to do routing, and on top of that it's hard to configure it with enough ports to make it interesting.  In theory it could do Ethernet to 9600 baud sync DDCMP, and if you really want to stress the poor little CPU you could try to add a few async DDCMP lines (on the quad UART card).  I don't know if DECnet/Pro supports anything other than Ethernet, though.

I have my Pro/RSTS system running as a router, on two serial ports, though only one is active right now.  The main reason I set it up that way is so it would allow me to turn on the second line, for use as a test data source.

	paul