QBUS/UNIBUS card handles

Joshua Rice rice43 at btinternet.com
Mon May 10 09:14:45 CDT 2021

On May 10, 2021, at 8:48 AM, Tom Hunter via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

  Just don't expect it to be as tough as the original.

I would assume it would be trivial to do an injection-moulded run of
these handles, if 3D print schematics are available. They were
definitely well-copied in the hey-day of the PDP-11, with most 3rd-party
cards using identical handles, minus DEC branding.
I think the real question would be if doing a production run would be
worth it. To make it economical, you'd need to do a run of a few
thousand, but i can't imagine the market demand would be there for so
many handles. The other question is, why replicate the originals?
Surely, there's got to be a drop-in replacement that would be stronger,
even if it's a length of bent steel rod with the ends flattened and
drilled through. (I'm sure i've seen someone do this somewhere, but i
may have just dreamed it)
Josh Rice