PDP-8/I Negative-bus termination

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Wed May 5 02:03:05 CDT 2021

Hey all --

I cabled up the RF08 to my 8/I this evening and it's showing some very
faint signs of life -- a DIML instruction appears to do the right thing.
That's about it.

Until this point I've never had any peripherals for my negibus systems
(apart from teletypes), and it occurs to me that I have no idea if the bus
needs to be terminated (and if so, with what).  There are 6 slots in the
RF08 backplane (D01-D06) for daisy-chaining to the next device, which is
where I assume they'd go; the RF08 manual does not make it clear what this
looks like or if it's actually required, and I've gone through the
available PDP-8/I docs and I'm still at a loss.

Can anyone with negibus experience point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Josh