Pro350/"XT" pre-release documents

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Tue Mar 30 13:19:06 CDT 2021

> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:27:58 -0400
> From: Chris Zach <cz at alembic.crystel.com>
> To: dstalk at execulink.com, "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic
> 	Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: Re: Pro350/"XT" pre-release documents
>
> Well, what I have is this:
>
> SPSS/Pro introductory guide
> (2) SPSS/Pro for DEC professional/350
> SPSS-X User's guide, third edition (Think telephone book)
> 4 disks VOL NAME SPSSPRO1 (to 4)
>

> Hey, in one of the manuals there is an additional disk SPSS/Pro
> DEMONSTRATION
>
> I guess I can copy them on my Pro/380 to other disks, but does anyone
> have a better way to make a spare copy? They are almost 40 years old at
> this point...
>
> Interesting stuff.

Chris,
    There was also a SPSS-11 for RSX and your SPSS for Pro/350 would likely be a later version. A few years ago I bought the SPSS-11 manual from an Ebay seller. It looks like SPSS-11 ran a lot like the IBM OS/360 version in that it was feed a file of input and it produced a file of output (like a batch job).

   The Pro 350 version was likely a bit more interactive and I would be very interested in getting a copy of it. As far as the best way to get a copy made, it would be great to read them on a M+ system that has TCP/IP or is at least connected to HECnet so the disk images could be uploaded somewhere. Also, the manuals would be of interest as well. The SPSS-11 manual I have is a relatively thin paperback book.

Thanks,
Mark