punching paper tape

Guy Fedorkow fedorkow at mit.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:43:36 CDT 2021

Paul,
  You are correct, the Whirlwind tape was only seven tracks wide, with
the same pitch as what became eight-track tape.
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/whirlwind/Whirlwind_Paper_Tape_Format.pdf

  I'll admit that I was expecting it to be hard to find someone with an
eight-track punch and blank tape, without even trying for seven track...
There are a few of the original Flexowriters out there somewhere, but
I'm certainly not going to try using one.  The tape is for "pedagogical"
purposes, so indeed seven would be better than eight, but eight will do
fine.
  But if you can suggest a way to punch a seven track paper tape, I'm
glad to give it a try!

  And if we do end up with eight track tape, I'll be sure to add an
attaboy for anyone else who notices!
  Thanks!
/guy