Classic browsing and duckduckgo

Scott Quinn compoobah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 08:53:58 CDT 2021

> > The question arises:  "Is this something that seriously interests
> > you
> > and you're willing dedicate some real effort to?   Or is this just
> > slow Saturday question?"
> >
> > I'm sure that Fred could tell you about doing serious research.
>
> I suspect that means spending money, or travelling around.
>
> > --Chuck
>
> Well I live in the middle of CANADA, no where for computing. If I
> could
> hit the the
> stacks I would. I just want the basic information, word length ,
> memory
> etc. A simple on line FAQ would work nicely, like the PDP 8 FAQ. Ben.

There may or may not be one. As for research, check around at a couple
of your libraries. ILL is often possible, and a number of librarians
consider this sort of unusual question fun. Sure beats "where's the
bathroom?" "Why are you charging me for this book, my dog only ate
half?" and "why can't I watch porn on the computers in the children's
section?" With many libraries closed to the public you'll be more
likely to have a librarian wanting a good challenge too.
Depending on policy and what they find they may be able to scan and
send it (sometimes for a small fee), other times it is in-person access
only, depends on the institution.