Classic browsing and duckduckgo

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Sat Mar 13 15:05:50 CST 2021

On 3/13/2021 1:49 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 3/13/21 11:56 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:
>> On 3/13/2021 12:02 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>>
>>> But then, I've given you enough information to get started.
>>>
>>> --Chuck
>>>

>> Sadly No. Some good reading but, I guess another classic computer design
>> is lost forever,
>> as well as the VAN with the IBM 1130 in it.
>> Ben.
>>

> Oh, c'mon--with another 5 minutes of browsing, I discovered that the
> ECP-18 was developed by Allen Fulmer, mathematics instructor at OCE
> (Oregon College of Education) under an NSF grant that dates back to
> 1960.  He published a paper on it.

Well I am using Duck Duck Go, from CANADA.

> Here's an article about the 1960 NSF award:
>
> https://digitalcommons.wou.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1023&context=oregoncollege_lamron_volume37
>
> OCE is now part of Western Oregon University in Monmoth.  Doubtless they
> have some stuff by Fulmer buried in their stacks.
>
> Back before the Intertubes, we used to do research the hard
> way--sometimes it took months or years to dig information up.  Not
> everything is online.

I have not yet checked the internet archive yet.

> The question arises:  "Is this something that seriously interests you
> and you're willing dedicate some real effort to?   Or is this just a
> slow Saturday question?"
>
> I'm sure that Fred could tell you about doing serious research.

I suspect that means spending money, or travelling around.

> --Chuck

Well I live in the middle of CANADA, no where for computing. If I could
hit the the
stacks I would. I just want the basic information, word length , memory
etc. A simple on line FAQ would work nicely, like the PDP 8 FAQ. Ben.