80286 Protected Mode Test

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 7 06:04:33 CST 2021

I think that is unlikely because the board comes with 1M onboard and I
believe the system is designed to work with just that memory. I can try it
though if I can find compatible 30-pin simms (I do have some somewhere).
Curious why you think it might require access to memory above 1M though? I
am currently working to the hypothesis that it needs the non-volatile memory
to work to remember that the reset was part of the POST. The NVR is provided
by the RTC element of the 82C206 chip. I may have to get the logic analyser
out to see if that is happening or not, but at the moment I still have an
intermittent problem getting the board to start at all, I think due to my
poor work on the repair wires for the damaged tracks.

Regards

Rob