PIC programmers? More generic programmer? Port?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Mar 6 12:13:27 CST 2021

On 3/6/21 9:59 AM, Scott Quinn via cctalk wrote:
> Realized I didn't post the project I was looking at just in case others
> were interested:
>
> https://tudl1910.home.xs4all.nl/rshockley.dyndns.org/indigo.htm
>
> Converter to use PS/2 keyboards with SGI Indigo, Onyx, Crimson and 4D
> series machines.
> Not my page, not my project, not my work (yet).

Way overkill for the job, IMHO.   Drop the crystal and use a smaller 8
pin PIC12 MCU--the internal RC clock is more than good enough.

It should be possible to do the same using a Blue Pill cheapie and
MAX232 level shifter.   Still if this is a one-off, I doubt that it
would matter to the user.

FWIW, I did the PC AT/PS2  to PC XT keyboard converter years ago using
the cheapest PIC I could find--a 12F629--and I still had program memory
left over. A cap, a diode and a resistor were the only external components.

--Chuck