PIC programmers? More generic programmer? Port?

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:15:17 CST 2021

I was a field application engineer for Microchip from 2008-2011, making
POCs for big name customers in the bay area using 8, 16 and 32-bit PICs.

You will likely find that Microchip support is awful, even if their
products are pretty neat. There was an Arduino port for PICs called
"ChipKit" but I don't know if that's still being developed.

The PicKit 3 is decent, if pretty slow. The ICD3 and later versions are
good. MPLAB X is excellent IMO. I should still hold a design partner
discount so if you want to get some tools, contact me offline and I'll see
if I can save you some money.

That all said, I'm a huge fan of the STM32 ARM devices and the community is
nearly as good as Nordic, and what Atmel used to be before it was acquired
by Microchip.

--
Anders Nelson