Searching for Elevated socket

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Tue Mar 2 22:41:14 CST 2021

IN my continuing Digitalker saga, I did find a couple not horribly
priced Digitalker ICs online and purchased them.  As one arrived, I
found that my original IC was actually OK, but the cable from the
computer to the device has issues.

I've traced it to what looks like a heavy duty 16 pin IC socket on the
board that plugs into the computer, and into which a 16 pin 2x8 .3" DIP
IDC header plugs into (with the IDC cable going to another such header,
which plugs into a similar socket on the main synthesizer PCB).

The socket has the same basic footprint as a normal 2x8 16 pin .3" IC
socket, but it's much heavier duty.  I could replace with a simple leaf
socket, but would prefer to find a direct replacement.

Though I am sure other manufacturers sold similar, I find that Aries
sells that I need.  It's an Aries
16-8430-10 <http://www.beckwithelectronics.com/ARIES/16-8430-10.htm> (or
could be an Aries 16-8480-10
<http://www.beckwithelectronics.com/ARIES/16-8480-10.htm>) elevated IC
socket.  The link below shows the units:

http://www.beckwithelectronics.com/ARIES/8xxx.htm

Digikey has the 14 pin version in stock, but no 16 pin ones, and neither
does Mouser.  I'll keep searching, but they are very expensive and I'm
not sure I need 40 of them (minimum Digikey order).

Thus, I am wondering if someone on list has 1 or 2 they might be
interested in selling for the cause.

The good news is that I was able to get the connection to work, and now
the unit operates as designed. Still, I do not trust the socket.

Jim

--

Jim Brain
brain at jbrain.com