Interesting photos of a computer graphics lab from 1968

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sun Jun 27 21:08:58 CDT 2021

On 6/26/2021 9:11 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 6/26/21 3:42 PM, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> The panels at the tops of the racks all seem to say Adage. Perhaps the blinkenlights panel is theirs, too?
>>

> The entire system is an Adage Graphics Terminal
>
> There are some docs now up under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/adage/agt

UW Madison had an Adage graphics setup, that looks very much like the
brochures on the bitsavers site you put up, in the basement of 1210 W.
Dayton Street (the newer part, when I saw it), along side a CDC-160.  I
*think* the Adage was lashed up to the Univac 1108 at the time.  I don't
recall if it was two rack units or three - my guess is three.  I never
saw it in operation (though we did have a class assignment on that
CDC-160.  ;) ).  I don't have any Adage manuals, unfortunately.

By 1982 (and starting sometime before that) that kind of graphics was
handled by the PDP-11/03 inside Intergraph graphics terminals with
special raster support cards and network cards communicating with a
PDP-11/23 or VAX using a home-grown CSMA/CD scheme of their own -
including loading the code for the PDP-11/03 based graphics terminals
over the network.

JRJ