VT340 Emulation

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Jun 25 17:53:08 CDT 2021

On 6/25/21 2:48 AM, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
> USB-serial dongles tend to be a wretched experience for a couple
> of reasons.  The first is at the electrical layer: USB only has 5V
> available and generating RICH CHUNKY VOLTS in such a small dongle
> is difficult and expensive, so doesn't happen, and the voltage
> swing might not be wide enough for older devices.

That sounds like a legitimate problem.  But it sounds more like an
/execution/ problem than a /possibility/ or /capability/ problem.  E.g.
USB interface between a host the device (both in the USB parlance) where
the device is externally powered.

> The other is in the software layer: the standards are a mess and
> the full gamut of serial protocols are not available and/or not
> implemented properly.

I can't tell if that's a USB specification problem or a problem with
what people have executed / built (thus far).

 From my naive point of view, I wonder if it would be possible to build
some sort of USB device that has a traditional UART that has supporting
circuitry to connect to the host over USB.  --  I say this because it
sounds like many ~> most ~> all (?) USB to RS-232 converters are doing
something inferior.

> The physical connector and pinout is an irrelevance in comparison. I
> own a soldering iron.

LOL  (literally)  I love your sentiment there.  I quite agree with it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die