VT100 colors

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 22 03:13:55 CDT 2021

On 22/06/2021 08:16, Matt Burke via cctalk wrote:
> The VT640 had a green phosphor. This was a 3rd party upgrade for the
> VT100 from Digital Engineering which gives the VT100 graphical
> capabilities. Part of the upgrade involved changing the picture tube. I
> suspect this was to reduce flicker as the phosphor has a high persistence.
>
> Here is an original advert for the upgrade:
>
> https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rO0QAcSJpQUC&pg=PA27
>
> Matt

The ones I used had a VT640 (although the only used for the graphics
side that I remember was a labyrinth game and some ALGOL code I wrote to
plot some coursework). I would never have guessed that the tube got
changed as part of the process, but it looks like you probably bought
the modified VT100 from Digital Engineering rather than installing a kit
yourself.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini