VT340 Emulation

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jun 22 00:03:22 CDT 2021

On 6/21/21 10:35 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> DECterm does allow graphics.  I've used it, but can't remember the
> details.

:-)

> For me the options were:
>
> 1. get a real VT340, already have a VT240

I've occasionally wondered about getting a VT340 (or VT4xx / VT5xx).
But then I look at prices and realize that I'd be chasing this for the
wrong reasons.  --  Especially when I think I could get what I want
other ways.

> 2. emulation software on a PC

After seeing the prices of VT3xx / VT4xx / VT5xx when I looked a few
years ago, I quickly decided that I didn't want to spend that sort of money.

I'm now wondering about building something like a Raspberry Pi with an
LCD display (native resolution?) in a custom case that's stylaized after
the VT340 (?) case, all be it abbreviated so that it's much shallower.
I'd probably simply run a full screen XTerm without any window manager.
(I might have a different way to start with a window manager and
traditional GUI.)

I could support serial, but if I'm using an SBC, why not use Ethernet
(or even WiFI)???

> 3. DECterm, not a great option, works but if you want to use it remote
> the hardware multiplys

Pleas elaborate and enlighten this DEC n00b?

Aside:  Does PATHWORKS include a DEC terminal emulator?  If so, does it
support graphics?  Could it be made to run on contemporary systems?

> 4. xterm, this was new to me, easy under linux

:-)

I'd hop it to be relatively easy under any Unix (like) operating system.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die