IBM 1620; was: Early Programming Books

Gavin Scott gavin at learn.bio
Mon Jun 21 18:55:09 CDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> For some (jprobably hallucinatory) reason, I thought there was a project
> at CHM to replace the 1620 core stack with semiconductor memory.   Guess
> that never happened.

Oh yeah, that was like 12 years ago? I believe they had gotten the
1620 CADET (“Can't Add, Doesn't Even Try”) running, but there was
something original they didn't have working (could have been the core)
that they had implemented in a little semiconductor board stuck in it.
IIRC the system was in operating condition at the time. But I had
forgotten I ever knew this until you mentioned it.