Early Programming Books

Gavin Scott gavin at learn.bio
Sun Jun 20 11:18:13 CDT 2021

A few years later, but Iverson's A Programming Language (1962) was
written before APL was actually implemented and is all about a
symbolic mathematical notation for expressing operations. From the
preface via Wikipedia:

"Applied mathematics is largely concerned with the design and analysis
of explicit procedures for calculating the exact or approximate values
of various functions. Such explicit procedures are called algorithms
or programs. Because an effective notation for the description of
programs exhibits considerable syntactic structure, it is called a
programming language."

So I would definitely include it in the category of books you're asking about.