IBM Logic IC equivalency information needed

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jun 12 11:24:38 CDT 2021

On 6/12/21 1:58 AM, Christian Corti via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021, Tony Duell wrote:
>> I wonder if in the original list, a '1' was misread as a '7' or vice
>> versa. I am told that in some countries the '7' is conventionally
>> written with a crossbar across the downstroke to avoid this. My father
>> always did this, for all it is not common in England.
>
> In Germany, we *always* write a bar across the 7. I don't like uncrossed
> sevens because they are ugly ;-) and hard to distinguish from a 1.

I do stroke my sevens just for clarity.   However, here in the US, few
people write their ones with a serif--just a single vertical stroke.
That, in my experience is not common practice in many European countries.

Writing zero with a slash, by the same token, probably leaves the
Scandanavian readers puzzled--as "oh" stroked is a letter of the
alphabet.  Regardless, I stroked mine--a more universal practice might
have been to write zero with a horizontal or vertical stroke.

I recall turning in keypunch forms to be punched and receiving my job
back with a note saying "I didn't know if you meant zero or oh, so a did
some of both".   Wastebasket meet card deck.

After that, I pretty much did all my own keypunching; management didn't
like that, but I persisted.

--Chuck