BA11 power filter

Tom Hunter ccth6600 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 06:35:59 CDT 2021

Those filter caps also cause other problems. I had now two cases in
succession where an old computer tripped the Residual Current Device (RCD)
in my switchboard. Both used Sprague 0.1 uF filter caps in "bathtub"
configuration in a metal can. Each cap is connected on one side to ground
and the other side is connected to active and neutral respectively. These
leak more than the 30 mA tolerated by my RCD which is compulsory in all
mains switchboards in Western Australia. I think that the capacitors are
not actually faulty but 0.1 uF is simply too large. The filter design
predates RCDs. There are "proper" mains filters which don't exhibit this
problem with RCDs, but of course they mechanically won't fit where the old
filter caps were.

Best regards
Tom Hunter