Branching the thread away from Compaq deskpro boards: "What We Have Lost"

Tony Aiuto tony.aiuto at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 21:20:37 CDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:21 PM Grant Taylor via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 7/27/21 4:27 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> > This was a talk at a recent Chaos Computer Club congress:
> > https://media.ccc.de/v/rc3-525180-what_have_we_lost#t=1707
> >
> > « We have ended up in a world where UNIX and Windows have taken over,
> > and most people have never experienced anything else.

I would argue that this is totally wrong. iOS, Android and other mobile
systems,
with decidedly different user experiences and programming interfaces than
desktop (or server) linux or windows are now the first, or maybe only,
experience
for many people. And even those are branching and evolving. As we get
better a consumer level  containerization and sandboxing, more end users
are seeing chimera's like Android apps running under ChromeOs or Windows
apps on macos and Linux.