Reading MT/ST Tapes

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 17:56:32 CDT 2021

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 12:46 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> A link I forgot to include that gives a flavor of how the tapes are used:
>
> https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED112083.pdf
>
> Curious thing is that was no take-up reel on the MT/ST; the 100 feet of
> tape simply was ejected loose and later rewound back into the cartridge.
>

> --Chuck

All, thanks for the references and background. I guess the first hurdle for the library is if there’s even data present. I passed on the suggestion of liquid mag developer as something “easy” to try.

With all of the pet projects documented on the net (ranging from the esoteric to the absurd) it’s interesting that no one has tackled this one yet. -C