Compaq Deskpro boards/hard drives from the late 1990s

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 10:47:37 CDT 2021

On 7/21/21 11:27 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 7/21/21 8:19 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
>
>> IIRC the original capacity ceiling on IDE was 504MB or something, so I
>> think the capacity of a CD (~650MB) would make a strictly IDE CD drive
>> impossible...?
>>
>> I can't think of anything other than the Bigfoot, no. I didn't know
>> Compaq favoured them, though...
>
> CDC/Imprimis certainly had ATA half-height 5.25 drives in their Wren II
> line--I used them.  e.g. 94204 series.

With odd timing, a photo of a 5.25" "half height" IDE drive made by
Gigastorage just popped up in one of my Facebook vintage groups. Adaptec
appear to have made the main logic ICs on the interface board. It appears
difficult to find any information on the company, other than a WSJ article
hidden behind a paywall which seems to suggest that shenaningans were afoot.

Jules