Compaq Deskpro boards/hard drives from the late 1990s

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 22 10:55:34 CDT 2021

On 7/22/21 8:12 AM, Kevin Anderson via cctalk wrote:
>  In response to Chuck Guzis' mentioning that there was more than one design of what was labeled a Compaq "Deskpro" during the time of PIII processors: the series of desktops that I used to have,, and from where the extra boards and drives I have were all pulled, collectively would be called the Deskpro EN series. Here is sample picture found on the web
> https://www.visualalchemy.tv/images/products/671caaf2be654938bd29fd137ed029c4.jpg
>
> Not all actually desktops I dealt with said "EN" on the nameplate, as I believe there was a brief period early on of Compaq switching over to the new case design before the EN series was completely defined, but the basic case design was all the same with option for tower or on-the-side use. This may better date the likely styles of boards and drives I have. I don't recall any of the original computers at work were of the small form factor version in the same series, although I'd expect the parts involved would have still been similar if they had been.

I checked the label on my box.  On the serial number sticker, it says
"DPENM P600/128/100".   Another label  says "ENP600".  On the rear, it
says Series PD1006.   Has the usual Windows 2000 and Intel inside stickers.

There's a 500 MHz one at RG:

https://www.recycledgoods.com/compaq-dpenm-p500-deskpro-en-series-pd1006-tower/

So definitely Compaq EN series, just not the one folks are used to seeing.

FWIW,
Chuck