Items Wanted

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:34:50 CDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 4:06 PM Jay Jaeger via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 7/20/2021 6:59 AM, Eric Moore wrote:
> >

> >      >> 11) ESDI disk emulator
> >      >
> >      > I am not aware of any such beasties in the wild.  MFM, yes, but I
> >     haven't seen ESDI.   I would love for such a thing to exist,
> >     thinking of my Apollo, 3B2 and IBM RT/PC workstations.
> >
> >     I’d also love to have one of these, preferably using SD or CF
> >     cards.  The Webster WQESD/04 card is a fantastic card, it’s only
> >     downfall is that it works with ESDI drives, rather than SCSI, and
> >     they’re big and loud. :-)
> >
> >     Zane
> >

> > http://www.datexdsm.com/ESDI.php <http://www.datexdsm.com/ESDI.php> is
> > what I was thinking of. There are a couple other commercial models out
> > there on offer, no one seems to have one though in the discord or
> > apparently here :)
> >
> > -Eric
> >

> I fear these, as well as those shown on one or two other websites, are
> vapor-ware.  The MFM emulators all seem out of stock, the ESDI emulator
> (DWX750) "documentation" is not even a page - just a "blurb".

I had a similar experience with a set of emulators made by Arraid -- LCM
inquired about one of their SMD emulators (
https://www.arraid.com/data-storage-products/product/aem-1.html) and the
response we got was "we can no longer source the parts to manufacture
these, we have a few remaining in stock that we will sell for $10,000 a
piece."  We did not purchase one.

I suspect that even if you could find someone to sell you one of these
emulators, they would be extremely expensive.  I have never seen one for
sale on the used market.  If you find one, consider yourself lucky.  If
anyone *DOES* have one of these SMD emulators and wants to find a new home
for it, do drop me a line.

- Josh