VAX4000 VLC diagnostics/console

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:30:04 CDT 2021

Hi folks,

I'm testing a little BlueSCSI adapter (BlueSCSI <https://scsi.blue/>) which
while being aimed at 68K Macs should also work as an 8 bit target for older
VAXen, it's a newer cheaper SCSI2SD solution and I should point out it
works as intended on a Mac Plus so the module itself is fine.

Nobody appears to have tested on small VAXen yet so tonight I dug out my
VLC to give it a go.

Powering up with nothing attached apart from an MMJ/H8571 cable I get
nothing on the console, I'm using PuTTY via a genuine COM1 port on a PC
which is one level above what I used last time I powered the machine up
(FTDI USB adapter to a laptop). Diagnostic LEDs cycle through the tests and
end up at '1111 0011' which according to the manual is 'entering the
console program'.

Clearly the DALLAS has passed the TOY tests, but if it's not happy would
that stop the console displaying? It doesn't matter how I set S3, next step
I guess is to hook it up to a 'proper' VT.

Cheers,

--
Adrian Graham
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest private home computer