PCIe/PCI I/O access (was: Re: VT340 Emulation)

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at orcam.me.uk
Sun Jul 4 07:06:06 CDT 2021

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021, Kevin Bowling wrote:

> Thanks this was interesting learning.

 You are welcome!

 NB I think it is also worth noting that the presence of I/O instructions
and corresponding bus cycles with x86 is most relevant for PCI as it is
only *because* x86, or more importantly the PC/AT architecture, has had
them in the first place that PCI (and consequently PCIe) has them as well.
Likewise the interrupt acknowledge or the special cycle bus transactions
-- they're both x86-specific, even if they may have been later repurposed
in non-x86 PCI system designs.

 Intel was a key player in PCI design and surely their requirements were
first-class citizens in the solution proposed.  While early PCI systems
commonly had PCI and ISA/EISA buses arranged as peers on the CPU host bus,
with the respective bridge chips being two of the three or more agents
arbitrated there (the remaining ones being the CPU(s)), the ability to
route x86-specific bus cycles over PCI eventually let the industry settle
on PCI x86 systems of the common northbridge/southbridge architecture we
saw so many specimens of, where I/O address space resources originating
from the PC, PC/XT, and PC/AT architectures can be accessed behind a PCI
bus segment just as if they were attached directly to the CPU, possibly
via some bus buffers only, like with the original IBM design from 1981.

 Similarly an x86 CPU can send an interrupt acknowledge cycle over PCI to
request an interrupt vector from an 8259A interrupt controller core
present in the southbridge, or a shutdown special cycle, in response to a
triple fault, so as to make the southbridge assert a CPU reset, just like
the original discrete PC/AT circuitry did.  None of this is really needed
by non-x86 systems, although again these features may have been repurposed
now that they are present (Intel has since invented additional special CPU
cycles too, used in power management and intepreted by the southbridge),
and numerous host bridges used with non-x86 systems have dedicated CSRs in
the memory address space for issuing these PCI bus cycles, which the CPU
cannot natively produce.

 BTW it wasn't exactly obvious to me that a flood of:

LPC[000]: Got SYNC no-response error. Error address reg: 0xd0010014
IPMI: dropping non severe PEL event

messages produced by the system firmware to the console serial port was a
symptom of a PCI device driver trying to poke at the port I/O address of
0, correctly left by the OS in the relevant device's BAR (Base Address
Register) along with the disabled status for I/O decoding in the device's
PCI Command Register.  The driver, not platform-specific and unaware of
the possibility of the inexistence of the PCI I/O address space in some
systems, ignored the disabled status of I/O decoding with the device and
just went ahead and poked at it, confusing the host bridge with the bus
accesses that resulted (likely an OS bug too with port I/O address space
accessors, though I wasn't inclined enough to chase it); of course the
port I/O address of 0 itself has no particular meaning with non-x86
systems and can be legitimately assigned and used with PCI devices.

 FWIW,

  Maciej