FW: List your old computer

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 25 10:26:39 CST 2021

On 2/25/21 2:05 AM, Peter Coghlan wrote:
> Chuck Guzis wrote:

> I don't think so.  My Raspberry Pi running Linux becomes choked by memory leaks
> when I leave it running more than a few months.  No amount of killing processes
> or other fiddling with the operating system tools available allows it to
> recover and the only alternative I can find is to reboot it.  My VAX/ALPHA
> machines/clusters just keep on trucking until the next power failure.

I suppose it depends on what's being done.   I've got an OrangePi PC
running headless that's nothing more than an email relay and an Internet
radio server.   Until we had power cuts because of the summer wildfires,
it ran more than a year.   It's been running since power returned.
I've got a OPi Zero hooked to a stereo system (headless again) running
nothing more than mplayer.

Various modems/routers and other appliances have been running BusyBox as
an embedded OS.  They pretty much escape notice.

--Chuck