Re: Funky electronics chain Fry’s is no more (Seattle Times)

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed Feb 24 22:29:50 CST 2021

On 2/24/2021 8:07 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> The worst were the Fry's sales people on the floor that would ignore
> you, then badger
> you to let them write a sale up so they'd get sales credit if you made
> the mistake
> of asking them where something was.

I always track down the Microcenter guys to get one of them to put one
of their tags on my stuff, even the small stuff.  They are usually
helpful or will find someone if they don't know.  I never ran into any @
Frys, as when I was going there, I always knew where things were, or
just wondered till I found it if they moved it.

The real collapse is the swap meets where the vendors could dump their
quota merchandise that they had to take to maintain pricing structures.
That channel was BS, but at least in southern CA there were a few swap
meets with vendors who would bring a lot of stuff to sell.  Then you
could get the odds and ends @ a Frys run later in the afternoon after lunch.

I quit going because I couldn't walk well, and there were no scooters or
places I could take a spell to rest and continue.

I'll miss the one in Anaheim that had the Space Shuttle theme (closed
quite some time ago).  The one in Fountain Valley was smaller, but I had
transitioned to buying via online and Microcenter runs plus direct from
China quite a while ago.

Still miss them as that capability in the community means there will be
less tinkering and work (and probably is) than there was.

Though a lot of the business damage was self inflicted on themselves.

One thing that the reporting so far on the subject misses, though people
talk about it is that there won't be much of any liquidation sales as
there is probably little left of any merchandise to liquidate.  That's
how you go out of business, not in the case COVID.

thanks
Jim