OT: Traveling to Zurich in February

Lawrence Wilkinson lawrence at ljw.me.uk
Fri Dec 17 09:52:38 CST 2021

On 17/12/21 4:07 pm, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
> I will be in Switzerland/Germany near Davos Feb 5-15 and I was curious what
> kinds of museums and sights were worth planning to see during this time of
> the year in that area?  Is there an orchestra concert show season there?
> Any recommendations for resources for travelers that are not overly
> commercial, in English, would be appreciated.
>
> On the inside of an old painting of my great great great grandfather from
> around 1830 was a piece of paper with a note written by his granddaughter
> many years later about someone called "Count von Burlowe" (spelling?) about
> a partnership to found or make commercial a health resort called "Bad
> Krautzma", but I believe she was way off spelling-wise.  It's written in
> 19th century US cursive, hard to read.  So I am interested in learning a
> bit about my heritage too.
>
> Thanks
> BIll Degnan
> Landenberg, PA USA

Things are a bit restricted here, and they've just announced further
restrictions on museums, restaurants and other public places (you will
probably need a vaccination certificate:
https://covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign )

That apart, you can look at https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/ though
now that's rather oriented towards winter activities.

Concerts: https://www.tonhalle-orchester.ch/en/
https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/spielplan/calendar/?filter=3&month=2-2022

Not sure what sort of museums you are after, there are no computer ones
in Zurich that I know of but some in other places (it's quick to get
around by train.)

Lots of mountains to visit, either via cable-car or train (Rigi,
Pilatus, Jungfraujoch, though Santis may be handier for Davos.) If you
want an idea of travel times you can use https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
which covers trains, ferries and buses (and some cable-cars.)

I can't help with "Bad Krautzma" or variations thereof. I would guess
"von Burlowe" is "von Bülow".

I'm in central Zurich, so more than happy to rendezvous sometime.

LJW

Lawrence Wilkinson                                 lawrence at ljw.me.uk
Ph +41(0)79 926 1036                             http://www.ljw.me.uk