TU58 / DECtape II: Capstan goo

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 19:39:31 CST 2021

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 2:43 AM Jos Dreesen via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >    Also, when the tapes arrive, are there recommendations in case their
> > drive belts are gone?
>
> You can 3D-print replacements.
> Use Innoflex filament, 100% fill-in and the following OpenScad formula :
>
> module ring(d1,d2,w)
> {
> difference()
>     { cylinder( w, d1/2, d1/2,  $fn=230);
>       cylinder( w, d2/2, d2/2,  $fn=230);
>     }
> }
> ring(38.2,35,6); // TU60 Dectape-II

Cool.  Thanks for sharing that!

> Already 2 TU60 have been repaired with the above.

TU60 are direct-drive digital cassettes.

https://www.pdp-11.nl/peripherals/tape/tu60-info.html

The TU58 uses DC100 cartridges.

http://www.hp9825.com/html/dc100_tape.html

I had a boss who recycled some DEC TU58 for our HP 4951A serial
analyzer.  It can format cassettes, the TU58 cannot, so it's a
one-way-trip.

-ethan