RK11-C indicator panel inlays?

Mike Katz bitwiz at 12bitsbest.com
Mon Dec 6 09:36:00 CST 2021

One dumb suggestion to make it easier to control 144 lamps is to use
addressable LEDs.  You can control them in banks or all in a single
serial line.  If you use a single line you can control all of them with
just 1 GPIO.

Each LED requires 24 bits of data.  That would be 3,456 bits.  The
WS2812B has a 300uS low start indication and 1.25 uS per bit.  That
would mean it would take. 4.62mS to update the all of the LEDs.

Since these are tri-color LEDs you can control the color and simulate
incandescent lamps (Simh and the PiDP-8/i do this with LED PWM via an
x/y matrix).

Another advantage to the LEDs is once they are set, you don't have to
talk to them again until you need to change something.

I am going to use a Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040 CPU's PIO co-processor to
drive the LEDS from a 432 byte array in memory.  All I do is update
which LEDs I want to change and the PIO DMAs the entire array to the LED
chain once every 10mS (or slower depending on need).