Ultrix-11 Networking

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 12:41:28 CDT 2021

On 8/28/2021 6:19 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctech wrote:
> On 8/28/21 4:13 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:
>>>
>>> Did yo have fun playing with the overlays?  :-)
>>
>> I don't know what this means.  The kernel creation was automatic, it
>> seemed to check for enough room.
>
> I guess you did the bare minimum to get the network up.  When I buld
> a new kernel I tend to add all the devices (like multiple network cards
> and serial cards) that I may want in the future.  I have often had to
> manually shift things around and usually create one or two additional
> overlays to get it all to fit.  I actually enjoy doing it.  :-)
I had only toyed with the idea of adding a dzv11 so real terminals could
be connected to a real pdp11 Ultrix-11 system.  I guess I'll find out
once I get there.

>>> Probably easier to turn them on on Ultrix-11.  Just modify inetd.conf.
>>> Actually, I just looked and ftp is on by default. Telnet is not.
>> I edited inetd.conf to uncomment telnet.  It helped.

>>> I suspect you will be somewhat disappointed with networking in
>>> Ultrix-11.  Not that there is something wrong with it, just that
>>> the hardware is nothing like you are used to.  In the early days
>>> of networking it was not unusual for systems like the PDP-11 to
>>> crash just because of the traffic passing by on their network
>>> connection.  The advent of switches helped alleviate that but it
>>> is still common to crash a system by pushing data at it from a
>>> modern ftp.  I expect FileZila will do it.  To be honest, I always
>>> preferred Kermit for moving files.  It is possible to keep packet
>>> sizes down and even slow down the transfer rate to give the PDP
>>> time to handle it.
>>>
>>> bill
>>>

>> I brought up a Vax Alpha 3000-300 and tried interacting with the
>> Ultrix-11 simulation:
>>
>> Starting in Ultrix-11 I could log into the vax via telnet. Ultrix-11
>> ftp was able to transfer a short ascii file from the Vax to the
>> Ultrix-11 sim.
>
> Just another note. remember that ulimit is only 1024 on Ultrix-11 by
> default.  That means no file larger than 10M.  Unless you raise ulimit.
>

>> Going the other way, Ultrix-11 would reject an ftp request from the
>> vax, here is the error message -
>>
>> $ ftp 192.169.0.52
>> %TCPIP-E-FTP_NETERR, I/O error on network device
>> -SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable
>> $
>
> Been a long time.  Could have to do with PTYs.  Remember, FTP takes two
> open connection and the number of possible connection on Ultrix-11 is
> very limited.

I think I noticed that I only had 2 PTY's during the install/kernel
process.  Glad you mentioned this, it had gone over my head.

Ignore the VAX error, the error was mine.  I typed the ip wrong, should
have been 192.168.0.52, not 192.169.0.52.  Blame it on bad eyes, old
age, small font, clumsy fingers.