CWVG

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Fri Aug 27 22:08:48 CDT 2021

On 8/26/2021 2:51 PM, Jay Jaeger via cctech wrote:

> On 8/25/2021 5:58 PM, Mike Loewen via cctalk wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2021, Dennis Boone via cctalk wrote:
>>

>>     As a few of the signals on the 34-pin connector are different than
>> the Shugart layout, I'm considering making up a custom cable and
>> connecting it to my Catweasel MK4+. I have a utility from Andrew Lynch
>> called "cwns", which is a modified version of "cw2dmk" to read
>> Northstar hard-sector (10 SPT) diskettes. I might be able to modify
>> that to read the VG 16 SPT diskettes, if the 1043-2 will work with the
>> Catweasel.
>>>
> It will not - but it has nothing to do with the cabling.  I already
> tried with my catweasel.  I was able to read flux, but between the hard
> sectoring and (possibly) different meta markers for the floppy sectors,
> the .scp file is useless.  I just got my Cypress board for a fluxengine
> in the mail yesterday, but haven't set it up yet - maybe tomorrow.  The
> website for fluxengine indicates it ought to work.

The fluxengine almost works with my Micropolis drives - but there are
some problems.

1)  The drive select pins are different.  I am having *some* luck access
one driver of my daisy-chained pair, but not the other.  The fluxengine
setup and/or the drive also seem to get confused when I try to access
the other drive.  I submitted an issue on github for more flexible drive
selection / motor control capability.  One could work around this with
suitable cabing / jumpering.

2)  So far I have not been able to read an entire Mod II disk
successfully - lots of good sectors on two, but not all without errors
on either one.  But I have not tried cleaning the heads on my drives, or
trying the Mod I with different select jumpering.

3) The Micropolis drives are slow stepping, so I added multiple commands
to seek to cylinder 0 to my script - not sure if that is actually
working right.

>> Mike Loewen                mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
>> Old Technology                http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/
>
> JRJ