Extremely CISC instructions

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 13:46:53 CDT 2021

> On Aug 25, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Tony Duell via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 7:17 PM Patrick Finnegan via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> Landscape monitors work fine as portrait for me when I turn them on their
>> side.
>
> You may have problems converging a colour CRT, particularly an in-line
> gun type, if you do that. They are designed for the earth's magnetic
> field to come in a particular direction.

No they aren't.  If that were true they would mess up if you turn them (horizontally) 90 degrees, or move from Canada to Equador.

If you're in a place where the magnetic inclination (dip) is 45 degrees -- say, FLorida or Israel, and your monitor is oriented east/west, turning it between landscape and portrait affects the applied field direction in exactly the same way as swiveling it 180 degrees does.

It if't a particularly sensitive monitor you may need to redo the convergence adjustment if you do any of these motions, but it certainly should not be a problem to make it work.

	paul